This SMCR course can be presented face to face in-house or via live in-house webinar.
A Half Day Training Course
SMCR Course Content:
Overview and journey to the SMCR regime
- Key misconduct issues;
- The regulatory reaction
- The Fair & Effective Markets Review
- The road to Implementation
- Aims and Objectives of SMCR
- What is the SMCR, what does it mean and why does it matter
Key Regime Features
- The enhanced regime
- The core regime
- The limited scope regime
- Overview of new staff categorisations
Senior Managers Regime
- SMF categories
- Prescribed responsibilities
- State of responsibilities
- Management responsibility maps
- Significant harm functions
- Fitness and Competency checks
- Annual assessments
- Individual conduct rules, what are they and how do they apply
- Tier 2 Conduct rules for SMFs
- Reasonable steps
- The link between disciplinary issues and conduct rule breaches
- Breach reporting obligations to the FCA
What we can learn from Phase 1 of the banking roll out
- What we can learn from banking experience to date
- Transitioning to the SMCR
- Taking Action
Background of the Trainer:
During his banking career at UBS and Nomura, the trainer gained invaluable experience in a variety of front office and training functions, spanning across both financial markets and compliance. He brings a unique blend of market experience, technical knowledge and regulatory know-how to offer leading workshops designed to provide practical, flexible and commercial Compliance training solutions to clients.
The trainer worked at UBS from 2002 to 2016 in a variety of roles within the Equity business, the Business University and Compliance. Matt began his UBS banking career in Stock Lending and Equity Finance IT as a business analyst before moving into Prime Services as a Hedge Fund Account Manager where he was responsible for the relationship management of a portfolio of multi-billion dollar clients trading an array of diverse strategies across global locations.
He is now in the unique position to offer Compliance training designed to decipher the complexity and equip your employees with the knowledge they need to remain compliant and competent within their roles.
Your course director is a specialist SMCR trainer having led the training streams across a number of major banks, training SMFs, in excess of 1500 Certified Persons and 4000+ non-approved staff members, many of which across multiple country locations. In addition to implementing an ongoing training plan post go live for SMCR competency requirement. He is able to leverage this experience working with Tier 1 banks and apply to the subsequent roll out of SMCR to all FCA regulated firms. He is currently engaged and actively working with a number of regulated firms to aid the planning and execution of their SMCR training plans.
SMCR Course Summary:
Originally rolled out to the banking sector in 2016, the Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR) is about to be extended to around 47,000 additional firms.
Beginning with insurance companies, from December 2018, and reaching asset managers and other regulated firms in 2019 (subject to a final Treasury decision).
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is tightening up its rules, replacing the current Approved Persons Regime with the Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR). The regime has already been operating in the banking sector for some time and will this year extend to all within the financial services sector.
This change will affect all FCA regulated firms including non-UK firms with permission to carry out regulated activities in the UK, and it will focus on three key areas:
- The Senior Managers Regime
- The Certification Regime
- Conduct Rules
The implementation date has been set for the 9th December 2019
- All staff within authorised firms will be in scope
- Senior Manager Functions (SMFs)
- Certified Persons (CPs)
- Also strongly recommended for those who will be directly involved in the implementation; Compliance & HR.
- Duration is as a half day classroom workshop
- It can also be made available as an online webinar series